Thursday, February 16, 2012

Skinny French Fries with Chipotle Ketchup


I love french fries. I like potato fries, sweet potato fries, butternut squash fries, and pretty much any other vegetable that can julienned, fried, salted, and dunked in ketchup. When I first started Weight Watchers, I completely gave up fries. Then, after a few miserable, fryless months, I decided to find a healthier alternative. Butternut squash fries were the big winner. They're reminiscent of sweet potato fries, but much healthier. They're tricky to get crispy, but I found that drying them well and baking them on a rack produced some pretty tasty results. But, they still weren't the french fries that I grew up with and aren't what I'm looking for when I'm really craving fries. So I came up with a happy medium: healthy, baked, potato french fries.

Skinny French Fries with Chipotle Ketchup
Serving Size: 1/2 recipe + 1 Tablespoon ketchup
WW PointsPlus Value: 3

1 medium potato
Kosher salt
1 teaspoon canola oil
1/4 cup ketchup
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut potato into sticks of your own desired thickness. Spread out on a few paper towels, and sprinkle well with the Kosher salt. This will draw the moisture out of the potatoes (so they will get nice and crispy in the oven). Let the salted potatoes sit for a few minutes, then squeeze the moisture out with paper towels. When they're nice and dry, coat them in oil and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
  • While fries are baking, combine chipotle chile and ketchup in a blender until smooth. I like spicier food so this is how I make mine, but you can remove seeds from chile and add more ketchup if you want a milder sauce.
  • When fries are finished baking, you can pat off any excess oil with a paper towel. Serve immediately with chipotle ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment