Sunday, February 12, 2012

Skinny Valentine's Day Dessert: Salted Nutella Cookies


I just bought a new silicone baking mat this week, and was dying to try it out, so I decided to make some Valentine's Day cookies. I wanted to make a unique cookie recipe, something that you wouldn't find at the grocery store. I was craving salt, so I already knew I would make a salted cookie. Then, while shopping for baking ingredients at the store, a jar of Nutella caught my eye. I don't know anyone who doesn't love that chocolatey-hazelnut spread, and it seemed just sexy enough for a Valentine's Day cookie. These were a total experiment, and I was surprised at just how well they turned out. They might be the best cookies I've ever made, and surprisingly low in points, too. This recipe will make about 32 cookies, so they would be perfect to bring to a Valentine's Day party!

Skinny Salted Nutella Cookies
Serving Size: 1 cookie
WW PointsPlus Value: 2

½ cup light butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup Nutella
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt (for sprinkling)

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter and sugars, then add egg, vanilla, and Nutella. Add dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
  • On a parchment paper (or silicone mat!) lined baking sheet, drop tablespoons of dough, evenly spaced. Then using a fork, or just your fingers, gently press the cookies flat. Sprinkle each cookie with a bit of the Kosher salt. Bake about 10-12 minutes (shorter baking time for chewier, and longer for crispier cookies). Serve with a hot cup of tea or coffee. These make a fantastic cold weather treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment