Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Skinny Super Bowl Snacks: Guacamole


I make a great guacamole. Way before I got really into cooking...and way, way before I got into "skinny" cooking, I decided to come up with my own perfect guacamole recipe. It is my all-time favorite dip for my all-time favorite kind of chip (tortilla), so there was really no choice in the matter. There are two secrets to making the perfect guacamole: Simplicity, and fresh ingredients. There is no need to throw all sorts of crazy stuff into your guac...avocado is the star of this dip, and you want to compliment it, not cover it up. Because it's such a simple dish, you want each and every ingredient to be as fresh as possible. This dip is always a crowd pleaser, perfect for Super Bowl Sunday. It's another recipe which can easily be doubled, tripled, or quadrupled.

Skinny Guacamole
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
WW PointsPlus Value: 3

1 large Hass avocado, seeded and peeled
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt to taste
1 small tomato, diced (optional)

Directions:
  • Ideally, you'd want to smash the avocado with a mortar and pestle. What's that? You don't have a mortar and pestle? Me neither. I use a potato masher, fork, or just pop it in the magic bullet when I'm feeling extra lazy.
  • Once the avocado is smashed, add all other ingredients and stir well. Serve with salty tortilla chips (for the record, those new Tostitos that claim to be "even crispier" absolutely are. I'd highly recommend them for game day).

No comments:

Post a Comment